February is the month of love (whether we love it or hate it ) Valentine’s day is a huge thing.. I wanted to acknowledge this date in my very own bookish way… No, I’m not going to recommend romance books (that may come at a later post) What I want is to lend a hand to those little love birds out there that find themselves in the daunting and incredibly amazing task of dating a book lover. If your significant other is an avid reader I’m sure you are by now more than aware of the wonders that this brings to your life..
- We bookworms are patient (How else would we manage to wait years for the next instalment in our favorite series?)
- We are very loyal and committed ( Our book collections the greatest example of this)
- We are great conversationalist ( We can dissect a book plot, character development, world building of every book we have read in 5 seconds flat — slight exaggeration in the time but you get the point)
- We are awesome at time and money management ( Most of the time — Don’t laugh!! — We do what we have to do — and at least we manage to pay our bills)..
- And the most important of our qualities is our big hearts (Otherwise we couldn’t have the enormous lists of book boyfriends/ book girlfriends, favorite bookish friendships, families, etc..)
However, all this greatness comes with its own downsides (Life needs balance) We can be moody, dramatic, and we can easily get lost inside our books forgetting everything around us ( Don’t deny it — I’m talking to you fellow bookworm — we must embrace our awesomeness but also our tiny little flaws) These little flaws can make dating us a challenge (greatness takes effort), so here are a few tips from the perspective of a female Bookworm to make the experience less daunting.
- Be Patient
As I said before we can lose ourselves quite easily inside our bookish world, so don’t get mad if we forget to call, or even miss a date or two… we were probably in the middle of an epic battle or crying our eyes out right along with our favorite characters… And who can focus on the real world at a time like that?? Seriously!! Do not under any circumstance make us chose between you and our books because that won’t end well at all for you..
- Be Comforting/Supportive
When you see us crying our eyes out, screaming or laughing like lunatics at the book we are currently reading… don’t make fun… just hold us or asks us if it’s a good read. — If you do decide to ask be prepared for the most incredible rant ever, use all the patience I mentioned before and bear with us. Talk with us about what you think of the book, or our comments about it.. I’m sure that if you show that much interest in our beloved books it will earn you a spot with our bookish boyfriends.
- Give us our space
If we are reading, don’t hover… just let us be… And when shopping at the bookstore (because you were a brave one and decided to venture there with us) Don’t rush us, let us appreciate the books without a care for time… This will make you a hero.
I know that this are all basic concepts that can easily be applied to almost any type of relationship but it’s the way you chose to focus on them, that might make the difference in you blooming bookish relationship.. Hope my little advice works wonders with you and your book obsessed significant other… Let me know what you think on the subject, and any other advice you may have in the comments below..